Bellydance Class Questions & Answers
**If you are the scholarly type and want in-depth music & dance theory, please see my online textbook
What should I wear to Bellydance class?
- barefoot, ballet slippers, or hermes dance sandals.
- Stretch leggings, yoga pants, or dance pants
- zills or finger cymbals if you have them
- Sports bra & tank-top or "choli top"
- hip scarf or shimmy belt to emphasize and define hip movemen
What is the most correct name for Bellydance?
- American Styles:
American Tribal Style (ATS), Improvisational Tribal Style (ITS)
Tribal Fusion, Amercian Cabaret (AmCab)
- Ethnic Styles:
Near Eastern Dance, Middle Eastern Dance
Raks or Raqs, Raqs Sharki
- Turkish Styles:
Oryantal, Turkish Roman (Gypsy)
- Greek Styles:
What are the health benefits of Natasya's Bellydance classes?
- Bellydance increases your over-all strength, grace, and flexibility
- Tones "belly flab" and develops core strength
- Strengthens and tones the deep postural muscles of the spine, abdominals, and hips
- Improves posture and self-image
- Improves mental capacity (studies have shown folk dancers who do improvisational dances are 80% LESS likely to develop Alzheimer's or dementia)
- FUN creative expression and connection with other dancers
Will Belly dance help me loose weight?
- YES! In conjunction with healthly eating & lifestyle
- Bellydanceis a FUN and CREATIVE way to burn calories
- Belly Dance targets flabby areas:
stomach, abs, "muffin tops", and thighs
- Belly Dance tones your entire body
- Belly Dance is the best way to get in shape while honoring your femininity - it is an ancient art designed for the female body
What are the spiritual benefits of Natasya's Bellydance classes?
- Natasya's classes connect spirituality with movement
- Honor the beauty & strength of women
- Practice movements & dances infused with the spiritual & sacred
- Learn about the rich cultural essence of the dance
- Connect with other women in creative expression
What is a bellydance class like?
A good belly dance class will include:
- warm-up (slow graceful moves & gentle stretches)
- aerobic section (fast moves) which raise the heart rate
- cool-down with stretches
- breathing & meditation
- correct posture
- zills (finger cymbals)
Where does Bellydance come from?
Bellydance is found all over the Near East, including Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Greece, Turkey, and many other countries.
Each country has its own style and music.
Bellydance has also taken root in the USA and spawned a modern "Fusion" style wich incorporates hip-hop, jazz, dubstep, popping, and locking elements as well.
Dances similar to bellydance were recorded in ancient Greek and Roman manuscripts, so we know this dance has been around for thousands of years.
What are zills?
Zills, or finger cymbals, are the traditional rhythmic accompaniment to bellydance. Not all bellydance styles use zills ... but anyone who is serious about bellydance learns how to play them. zill
For more information:
contact Natasya 805-six four 0 - five seven 81
To Pre-pay for classes using PayPal
Turkish Roman (Gypsy) Bellydance
Natasya's FREE on-line course
with subscribers from around the world
Natasya Katsikaris is a certified Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor, Yoga Teacher, and FCBD / ATS Bellydance Instructor. She has danced professionally in numerous Greek and Moroccan restaurants, theatrical productions, and cultural festivals throughout California. She produced Ojai Bellydance Festival, 1999 Tribal Days, Equinox Bellydance Festival, and numerous other events. Her specialty is Greek, Turkish, Balkan, and Gypsy (Roman & Ciganski) folkloric styles. She is director of Dokuz Sekiz Dance Company.
performance & teaching credits
Ventura County Star- Shimmy Sensation Video of 2008 Ojai Class
Ojai BellyDance Festival (founder and co-producer) 2008 - 2015
Ventura Bellydance Festival (Founder & producer) 2001-2004
Equinox Tribal Bellydance Festival (founder & producer 1999-2000)
Olivas Adobe Music Under the Stars
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
Ojai Day 2003 - 2015
Ventura Art Walk
City of Ventura 4th of July Street Fair
Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive Instructor 2009
Tribal Fest Instructor 2003
Portland Community College Instructor 2005-2007
City of Ventura 1999-2004
Ojai Department of Recreation 1999-2003
Ventura Community College 1999-2004
Loma Vista Middle School
Vesselo Festival (Eugene Oregon folk dance festival)
Various Multi-cultural events at Ventura and Oxnard schools
University of California, Santa Barbara
(UCSB) Middle Eastern Music Ensemble 1991-1993
Ojai Pirate Festival
Santa Barbara Renaissance Fair
Turkish Roman Bellydance &
Traditional Folkloric bellydance &
Tribal Fusion Belly Dance
Ventura Tribal Basics Class - American Tribal Fusion (ATS / ITS)
Learn Tribal Style Bellydance. Based-on the linneages of ATS, ITS, Black Sheep, Rachel Brice, Carolene Nericcio, John Compton, Suhaila Salimpour.
All Levels Welcome Beginner - Advanced. please e-mail for info.
Ojai Advanced Class - Turkish Roman Fusion Bellydance
Learn traditional, authentic Turkish Romani (Gypsy) dance. Mostly 9/8 Contemporary Urban style, historic style, and some modern Tribal Fusion. Prior dance experience recommended, please e-mail for info.
Other topics: Classic Turkish & Greek Bellydance
Learn traditional Tsiftetelli (Chiftetelli) the bellydance of Greece and Turkey. Also "Oryantal" Turkish style bellydance and some "vintage revival" tribal fusion to historic Greek music of the 1920s.
Prior dance experience recommended, please e-mail for info